Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Street River

"What the hell am I doing in Espanya today?"

I had to drive Mommy to PRC yesterday morning, during the downpour of Habagat. I litereally spent 2 hours along Quezon Avenue and Espana (how do you do the eNye letter?... alt+164....leche ayaw gumana!) trying to row, este, drive the van along UST. I could see the waves in the water when a bus passed by, hammering the side of the van.

Kids were swimming on the road and several URCHINS began to gather the around the cars. By urchins, I mean people who you thought were there to help out the stranded motorists, but in fact were cajoling them for money, offering to push the small cars through the water for P100. The nerve!


It's already 10:00am and I'll be late for work! If I had to spend another 30 mins there, I would have abandoned the van and swam all the way home. If I get stranded there, if the van conked out or if I were really late (which I hate), might as well get some evidence. So I took some pictures of the waves, the flood and the urchins on my phone camera as evidence.


I had to get out of there. Mommy said that the van could handle the flood, "Diesel ito, mataas tambucho!" whatever that means! After two Hail Marys and the fact that my bladder was bursting (had to pee so bad!), I mustered up the courage to step on the gas pedal, close my eyes and drive straight through the river street.
Mommy was right, the van chugged on forward and I made it through to PRC and Mendiola. I even managed to arrive in the office on time, dry and unscathed, and feeling rather invincible after that.


What an adventure!






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

waaaaaaah! buti na lang hindi ako dyan sa amin umuwi. hahah. batang espanya toh kaya sanay na ko sa ganyan. in fact, expected na nmin lagi yan pag may bagyo.

buti na lang naka survive ka!

Marie Marcelo said...

buti na nga lang coachie. haaay! first time ko na-experience ung baha sa espanya... how do you get used to that?