Thursday, September 11, 2008

Frigid Freakin Zone

Last Sunday, I drove my Mom to her mahjong session in Cainta. Along Katipunan Ave, I heard a fizzling sound from the van's motor. Then slowly the aircon blower started warming up. I thought the compressor's fanbelt broke. We felt like being inside a moving sauna.

Had the van checked out the next day at Frigid Zone near our place. They dismantled the compressor and found that all the bearings were shot and the whole compressor has already been damaged. The coils have overheated and it pretty much needs replacement now.


Replacing it with a brand new compatible compressor would cost P35,000!!!

WHATDAFA?!?!?!?! Is that for real?

Apparently so. The part alone costs P32,000 and labor costs P2,500, plus cleaning, freon, and so many aircon jargon that wooshed over my head.

This is when haggling really proved its usefulness. I haggled and begged and negotiated and pleaded till their owner got irritated. They finally agreed with P25,000 all-in.


Ka-ching!

It was still a hefty amount of money, but hey, I had no other choice.


They fixed it up overnight, and now the aircon is back, cooler than ever. It still smells of grease and oil, but at least it's working now.

There goes my budget for a new gadget... :(

0 comments: